Under the artistic leadership of Paul Lewis and Adam Gatehouse, our 2018 Competition will see The Leeds revitalised for the next generation of world-class musicians.
At the heart of their new plans is a desire to ensure that The Leeds builds on its position as among the most coveted prizes in the piano world:
- New-concept portfolio prize offering winners unprecedented long-term career opportunities, including new partnerships with Askonas Holt; an enhanced partnership with BBC Radio 3 that offers concert and recording possibilities; a debut recording, and engagements with leading promoters and venues
- International first rounds in Berlin, New York and Singapore in April 2018
- The BBC to cover the Semi-finals and Finals with more details to be announced in due course.
- All the rounds to be streamed internationally
- Creation of an enriched programme of events and activities in Leeds for audiences and participants, including a new chamber music element in the semi-final
- An international and performer-led jury, chaired by Paul Lewis
- New partnerships with London’s Wigmore Hall and Southbank Centre for a new Leeds Piano Festival, and with Royal Liverpool Philharmonic for a Concerto engagement with Vasily Petrenko
- Consolidation of existing partnerships with BBC Television and Radio 3, The Hallé, Leeds City Council, Leeds University and Steinway with broadcasts and events to be announced
- Personal mentoring programme with Paul Lewis and other international pianists
You can watch Paul and Adam’s introduction to the 2018 Competition below